Looking Long Term

I have been spending quite a few of my working hours lately on long term projects.  This is really exciting for me as a writer, since most of them mean residual incomes for later.  While a couple of these projects have produced immediate income, a major one won't really pay off until a couple of months from now.

This is huge for me.  I have always been a future thinker which you think would be a positive thing in the fiscal sense, but I have never been much of a future planner.  Instead, I am a dreamer.  That means, I have a dream for what I want and I figure something in the future will get me there.  I have never been an act now and reap the rewards later sort of person.  So to tackle these projects is a big change for me and it makes me feel really empowered financially.

While I have always known logically that my actions today will impact my future greatly, I have never truly lived it out.  I think this is true for the vast majority of the population.  Hence, debt.  It is like the prefrontal cortex of our brains consistently loses out to the amygdala and - ta-da! - instant gratification.  Well, I'm happy to report that I am not in that crowd anymore.  And it feels way better than any endorphins my amygdala was throwing my way.

This is a forever change.  This is a complete lifestyle overhaul.  This is an exciting adventure that, on paper, looks so amazing I just want to bust. 

We're not rich.  We're not lucky.  I have just changed my perspective and with it my actions and the debt is just melting away.  We are SO CLOSE to paying off credit card number two.  A task that would have taken us three years with minimum payments is now going to happen in less than a year.  The debt is looking a lot less scary every day. 

It's all about looking long term but acting now.  And it's shockingly not that difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment