Complacency

I'm going to be honest.  It's really easy to get comfortable.  It's really easy to lose that "gazelle-like" focus.  It's really easy to just be complacent.

I know what I want in the long run.  I focus myself on it.  I long for it and feel the motivation of it.  But then I look at my charts and see that we are making headway.  We are getting somewhere in paying off the debt.  So what's the big deal if I don't work today?  Or if we go out to eat?  Or if I skimp on menu planning or go nuts at Goodwill?

The times I struggle are the times when I cannot answer those questions.  What is the big deal?  We're making it.  We're paying more than the minimum payments.  We are in much better shape than we were a year ago.

Those thoughts are poison.  They are destroying my focus and drive and I can't seem to shake them.  Even when I want to use the extra money I make for a more immediate purchase, I still can't seem to muster up the drive that I wish I had. 

It always starts so easy, doesn't it?  You start with a plan, see the dream and go full steam.  Then a few weeks in, it gets hard.  The steam runs down and you are sitting with the dream and a feeling of hopelessness and discouragement. 

As a whole, we're still on the right track.  But right now I am focusing on how to get that steam back up and keep it up.  How do I fuel myself daily to make the right choices?  How do I push through those poisonous thoughts and do what I know is right? 

Lots of questions in this post as I work through these thoughts.  I'm still looking for the solutions.  I want the intense focus.  I need to work on getting it back.

No comments:

Post a Comment